Again, spoilers for 8x03 and speculations beyond! Beware!
Okay, there aren't really any spoilers, just speculation. And I wouldn't even call it that. It's more like... Brain-farting.
So, here is what's happening - Amelia is not real. When Sam hit the dog and brought it to the vet clinic, it actually died and Sam snapped, making out this fantasy of living with the dog (by the way, Riot is an amazing name in my opinion) and the nice animal doctor lady, because he couldn't deal with being so alone anymore. That's why all his flashback have this dreamy quality to them - they are just that, dreams. That's why Sam doesn't call her, why she doesn't call him...
This is basically all I got from this episode. This, and that Papa Ackles is awesome.
no subject
Date: 2012-10-18 10:41 pm (UTC)I definitely think there's something a little "off" about Sam's lost year. I don't think it happened the way he described it to Dean. Not that Sam's lying, but he's definitely mistaken or deceived.
no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 06:04 pm (UTC)I juuust had another idea but I'm not sure what's your spoiler policy and how much can I give away so I'm gonna ~keep my mouth shut... ;D
no subject
Date: 2012-10-18 11:18 pm (UTC)Or watch it. Y'know. Whatever.
Brilliant.
no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 06:12 pm (UTC)But I agree, I wouldn't mind if
someone wrote itit happened.no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 12:42 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 06:13 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 01:15 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 06:24 pm (UTC)Bottom line is, both boys deserve a big plot-arc *and* an emotional storyline (and so does Cas. SOMEONE MAKE IT HAPPEN, PLEASE.)
no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 09:52 pm (UTC)the real problem, IMHO, was them putting Dean in this "caretaker" role - and then making it his ONLY role, in the whole story. Which is not something Carver seems to want to do, so I'm calm about this for now. :)
Yes. I love the way you worded this; that really is at the crux of it for me too. And yeah, I would just adore them having emotional storylines especially focused on at the same time. Come on season 8; I'm cheering for you. *\o/*
no subject
Date: 2012-10-20 08:04 am (UTC)The whole hallucinations-storyline had some major issues. To me it seemed like the writers were thinking, oh, we have a second chance at dealing with post-Hell issues, let's do it *right* this time! and they went a little overboard with it. XD Dean's didn't get enough screen-time, Sam's got too much and were too serious... That's why I'm excited about post-Purgatory Dean so much! And worried about Sam's plotline a little right now.
Despite that, I think we're all cheering for Season 8. <3
no subject
Date: 2012-11-05 04:04 am (UTC)Yes, to this so much. Dean has been allowed to grow the least with having the most time put into his character. It's like the writers are afraid to do anything other than Man Pain Dean and it's made me really dislike Dean as a character. Which is a shame because I in the first three seasons liked Dean. After Season 3 his character just went downhill and never made it over the hump.
no subject
Date: 2012-11-05 06:30 pm (UTC)What I mean is, Sam gets most of the storylines - it's always "Sam has Powers," "Sam has Demon Blood," "Sam doesn't have a soul," "Sam's Hell-wall broke," etc. And we view these storylines through Dean's eyes, who has the "Emotional Depth," so to speak. (Dean's first decent storyline was - if you don't count his crossroad deal, which was a giant clusterfuck, not a storyline - him being Michael's true vessel. And that's in Season 5.)
no subject
Date: 2012-11-05 10:01 pm (UTC)I agree. It frustrates me to no end that almost everything in this show is filtered through Dean's eyes. It leaves things skewed too far in Dean's direction. IMO
Sam gets most of the storylines
I don't really agree with you here, yes Sam has storylines, but so does Dean and they tend to take up most of the show. Dean's deal was the focal point of S3(it may have been a clusterfuck but it was still a storyline), S4 was Dean's return from Hell, and the angel storyline which was mainly about Dean. S5 it was Dean's trying to deal wth Sam's 'betrayal' and the fact that he was Michael's vessel.
S6 Sam may have had the Soulless story line but it was Dean who had the 'family' vs 'hunting' storyline and the whole 'saving Sam' which has been just about costant. S7 Dean's pain over Bobby and Castiel again dominated Sam's wall falling which was in the background. S8 I've actually done something I thought I'd never do which is stop watching the show. The writers keep retelling the same story over and over again, there's no character development just regression, Dean is always playing the victim and somewhere along the road Sam is a 'bad' brother. At least in the fandoms eyes.
no subject
Date: 2012-11-05 11:12 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-11-06 04:23 am (UTC)I do dislike what the writers have done with Dean in a lot of ways.
I feel like the writers have become so fixed on a certain formula that it has left the show and the characters in a rut, the rut is formed by Dean always the sufferer and Sam always the betrayer in some form or other.
I feel like the writers have stunted Dean's character in favor of man pain because all Dean can do on the show is suffer and feel betrayed.
no subject
Date: 2012-11-06 05:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-11-06 05:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-11-06 11:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 05:08 am (UTC)But you know, this does make sense. Because that happy life Sam's supposed to have had is so indistinct and one-dimensional and perfect: it's all Woman and Dog and Sunshine without any real substance or context or explanation. And yes, of course, we're three episodes in, so there's plenty of time for more explanation/exposition/whatever. But it does seem a little odd to me that three episodes in, we already know in some detail a lot of what happened to Dean in Purgatory (obviously, there's loads more that we *don't* know, but still). And yet in an episode that purported to be partly about Sam's desire for a normal life, we really saw nothing of that alleged life, except for a brief, dreamlike snippet.
Also? While I'm busy totally buying into this theory and embroidering it with all the conviction that comes with sleep deprivation? I think one might, possibly, make something of the fact that The Woman is called Amelia. I could totally buy this as some kind of angry/guilty breakdown in which Sam tries to pretend that not all of the women he cares about are now dead.
I don't know if the grammar of that made sense. I should probably do some sleeping now. *wise exam preparation FTW*
no subject
Date: 2012-10-19 06:39 pm (UTC)And exactly. They keep showing Dean's year in (sort of) great detail, but not Sam's year. And I don't believe that it's just them forgetting Sam, they seemed to handle Dean's relationship with Lisa well (at least in a way I liked and made sense to me), so I don't believe they would screw up Sam's for some reason, or forget about it, or not think it's interesting enough... So there has to be something else?
Also, dead!Amelia is officially a SPN trope, I think? ;D
Good luck with your exams!
no subject
Date: 2012-10-21 08:09 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-21 08:29 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-10-21 08:33 am (UTC)Or Sam and Jess but that was clearly just LOOK AT THIS HOT LADY SHE WILL DIE SO OUR STAR CAN BE ~TORTURED.
Edit: I meant to agree with you somewhere in there.
no subject
Date: 2012-10-21 08:43 am (UTC)Don't worry, I got it! ;D